Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Galatians 2:20

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20 KJV).

This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. As a teenager, we would often sing the verse at youth devotionals. As I grew older, I would teach others to sing it. There are several wonderful truths taught in this verse.

First, "I am crucified with Christ." How is one crucified with Christ? Few who claim to be Christians would deny that it is the blood of Christ that cleanses us from sin (Revelation 1:5). But how do we come into contact with that blood? Is it simply by saying a prayer? There is no Scripture that affirms such. We come into contact with the blood of Christ when we are baptized into His death (Romans 6:3-6).

Second, "nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." When we are raised from the watery grave of baptism, in which we die to our sins, we are raised to "walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:4). We are to "walk in the light, as he is in the light" (I John 1:7); we are to "walk worthy of the calling with which you were called" (Ephesians 4:1). Therefore, we do not give into our selfish desires.

Third, "and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God." We live as Christ would want us to live. How do we know what He wants? By turning to the Word of God, the God-breathed Scriptures (II Timothy 3:16). The Bible fully equips us to live a life pleasing to God (II Timothy 3:17; II Peter 1:3). God has done His part by sending Jesus to die on the cross and revealing the plan of salvation to us in the Word; now it is up to us to comply with His Word. Obedience is essential for salvation (Hebrews 5:9).

Finally, "who loved me, and gave himself for me." Many Scriptures boldly proclaim the love of God and Christ toward sinful man. John 3:16 is one of the most widely known verses in the Bible. Romans 5:8 also affirms the love of Deity, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home